X display question

David Mackintosh David.Mackintosh at xdroop.com
Tue Oct 12 01:56:02 UTC 2004

Kind of a specialized question here, I can't find anything on the web which
matches my problem.

I have this new Dell D600 laptop which I have installed FC2 on.  It
has a SXVGA+ (ie, 1400x1050) display.  X will display at this
resolution (at 24-bit depth) on the LCD display, no problem.
However, when I plug the laptop into a docking station which has an
Acer 77e 17" monitor attached to it, the Acer displays the 1400x1050
desktop, as viewed through a panning 640x480 window.

I know it is possible to have this monitor display 1400x1050x24 --
Windows does it.  I've also driven this monitor at 1600x1280x24 when
attached to a different linux system.  I also know that it is
possible to have this Linux display properly at this resolution on an
external monitor -- I have a Sony something at the office which does
it.

What I can't find is an explanation as to why I'm getting this 640x480
on an external monitor which is clearly capable of displaying much more, nor
an explanation of how to fix it.  All pages on the web I've found suggest
that it means that my monitor can't run the video mode I selected (known
to be false) or that my video card can't run the video mode I selected
(also known to be false).  It has to be a configuration problem.

Any ideas what I should begin looking for>

--
 /\oo/\
/ /()\ \ David Mackintosh | Public Key: