isolation

roland brouwers roland at cat.be
Tue Oct 19 09:48:19 UTC 2004

roland brouwers wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have an installation of a Linux server Redhat 9.0 in a network
> 192.168.9.0/24, containing 2 routers. Router-1 connecting to the world
> and router-2 connecting to another network, 192.168.1.0/24.
>
> Somehow I cannot connect to the Linux server, neither with ping,
telnet
> or ftp. From the internet I can connect to server with SSH. If I make
> tunnel VPN with my pc to the router-1, I cannot reach the server, no
> ping, no ftp.
>
> What can I do?

When you say "router", I'm assuming you mean something like a Linksys
or D-Link cable or DSL router.  Those perform routing AND NAT.  You must
NAT, as the 192.168.0.0/16 network is not routable over the internet.

You must set the router between the internet and your 192.168.9.0/24
network to "port forward" the ports you want to the Linux box.  For
example, assuming the Linux box is at 192.168.9.5, you must have the
router forward port 22 to that IP.  D-Link calls this service "virtual
servers", I'm not sure what Linksys calls them.

Some more details:

The network 192.168.9.0/24 has a server Linux RH9 192.168.9.254, several
workstations and 2 routers, router-1 192.168.9.98(to the internet) and
router-2 192.168.9.97 to another network, 192.168.1.0/24.
On router-1 I forwarded port 22 to the server.

>From home a can connect to the linuxbox with SSH port 22, passing
router-1.
If I establish a VPN connection to this router from my pc at home, I can
ping and ftp to the LinuxServer

If the VPN tunnel is established from the other network, 192.168.1.0,
the Linuxserver is not reachable by ping or ftp, passing router-2.

On the other hand the router-1 is reachable by ping, coming from this
network 192.168.1.0. over router-2.

What does the linuxserver can do different from the router-1.

I suppose, when you buil a tunnel VPN, no port-forwarding is necessary.

I wonder!!

Maybe its like a woman, you have to work around.