coredump settings

Vaibhav Deshpande vaibhav_d at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 25 00:37:03 UTC 2004

Thank you. Will try both approaches.

-Vaibhav

Jim Hayward <jimhayward at earthlink.net> wrote:
On Sat, 2004-10-23 at 05:03 -0700, Vaibhav Deshpande wrote:
> One of my application programs (C++) is giving segmentation fault and
> I'm not able to get core dump of running process.
>
> What settings I need to do to get core dumps?

core dumps are turned off by default in /etc/profile. You can make per
user changes by editing your ~/.bash_profile.

Look for the line, ulimit -S -c 0 > /dev/null 2>&1, you can either
comment out the entire line to set no limit on the size of the core
files or set your own maximum size.

This disables core dumps by setting there maximum size to zero
ulimit -S -c 0. The rest of the line, > /dev/null 2>&1, deletes the zero
length file by redirecting the output to /dev/null.

Instead of using core dumps it would be just as easy to run your
application under gdb.

Regards,
Jim H
--