cannot send mail in command prompt

Toto Gamez egamez at bonheur.com.ph
Thu Oct 28 00:10:02 UTC 2004

thanks guys its now working :)
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Rick Stevens
  To: Getting started with Red Hat Linux
  Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 2004 12:15 AM
  Subject: Re: cannot send mail in command prompt

  Toto Gamez wrote:
  > lists,
  > I have redhat 9 installed in our remote office connected to the internet
  > via dsl with dynamic ip address. My problem is I created a mini script
  > (ifconfig ppp0|mail -s ipadd egamez at bonheur.com.ph
  > <mailto:egamez at bonheur.com.ph>) that will email the ip address every 2
  > hour to me so that I can access the server but emails are not send to
  > me. When I checked the logs it says
  > Naga sendmail[12014]: i9Q1HtJ5012014: to=egamez at bonheur.com.ph
  > <mailto:to=egamez at bonheur.com.ph>, ctladdr=root (0/0), delay=00:00:01,
  > xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=relay, pri=30041, relay=[127.0.0.1] [127.0.0.1],
  > dsn=4.0.0, stat=Deferred: Connection refused by [127.0.0.1]
  > any suggestion

  You must have sendmail running on your RH9 box for it to work.  Try
  "service sendmail start" to start it.  Don't worry, the default
  configuration will not accept mail from the outside--only from itself.

  Use "chkconfig --level 2345 sendmail on" to set it so it starts
  automatically on boot.
  -     If Bill Gates got a dime for every time Windows crashes...     -
  -              ...oh, wait.  He does.  THAT explains it!             -