fc2 install CD

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 28 21:09:55 UTC 2004

On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 01:49:04PM -0700, Ted Potter wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I feel very foolish but I have tried to follow the information and am
> failing miserably.
>
> *sigh* would some kind soul be willing to walk this idiot through all
> the steps needed to make a bootable install cd for fedora 2

First, see

http://www.rhil.net/docs/faq.html#making_cds

> I have downloaded the iso images. I have used the checksum utility to
> verify them. I have attempted to burn the iso image to a cd. I must be
> missing some step at this point.

And you burned it as an image and not as a file, right?

> I can mount the cd and see all the wonderful stuff on it.

And you see several files and directories, not the single image file,
right?

> I can even
> mount the iso image from the hard drive :-) but not one of my computers
> consider these cd's bootable.
>
> It must be that little step I am missing and can not figure out. I burn
> data / music cd's all the time. I can happily install RH9 cd's that I
> purchased on the same machine. Yet my home made cd's refuse to be
> bootable.

And you do have the BIOS set up to boot the CD ahead of the hard
drive, right?

Do you get some kind of error message or does it just go ahead and
boot from the HD?

> Pity this fool and if successful I promise I will make a HOW TO that
> will eliminate this question ever needing to be answered again.
>
> How about that ?
>
> Thanks !
>

> --
> Ted Potter
> tpotter at techmarin.com
> www.techmarin.com

If you got everything right, then the only thing I can think of is CD
burner speed.  You may need to slow it down as mentioned in the FAQ.

Rick Stevens may have some other ideas.

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
Grace happens.