installing ethernet drivers and a kernel ?

jdyke jdyke at azimapower.com
Fri Oct 29 13:05:24 UTC 2004

I have pleasure of removing  win2k3 from our new Dell PowerEdge 750 and
installing RH9.  But there are of course a few issues, which i'm happy to deal
with after windoze, but i won't go into that rant.

The first of which are the Network Drivers.  Dell does not support RH9 but i
found a link for drivers in linuxforums from someone doing the same thing,
recommended by dell for Intel 82541GL
http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/Detail_Desc.asp?agr=Y&Inst=Yes&ProductID=841&DwnldID=2897

When i go to install, I get an error message from make, b/c i did not install
the kernel source (Makefile:65 Linux Kernel Source not found: stop).  Why I
didn't install the source i have no idea.  I can do that now, but is there any
reason that i should get and compile a newer kerel.  My current version is
2.2.20-8 according to uname -r.

Thanks
Jeff