RHEL 3 doesn't boot after successful install on HP Vectra 6/150

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Oct 29 23:34:22 UTC 2004

Krzysztof wrote:
> Rick,
>
> Thanks for responding.  Here is the text of two grub.conf files that I tried
> but unfortunately to no avail:
> THIS FILE was generated by Red Hat software automatically.
> # grub.conf generated by anaconda
> #
> # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
> # NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition. This means that all kernel and
> #                   initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
> #                   root (hd0,0)
> #                   kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda3
> #                   initrd /initrd-version.img
> #boot=/dev/hda
> default=0
> timeout=10
> splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> title Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS (2.4.21-20.EL)
>            root (hd0,0)
>            kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.21-20.EL  ro  root=LABEL=/  hdd=ide-SCSI
>            initrd /initrd-2.4.21-20.EL.img
>
> T H I S file is the one that I modified as I though it would make sense:
> default=0
> timeout=10
> splashimage=(hd0,2)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> title Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS (2.4.21-20.EL)
>            root (hd0,2)
>            kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.21-20.EL  ro  root=/dev/hda3
> hdd=ide-SCSI
>            initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.21-20.EL.img
>
> Interestingly enough, the same install and the boot process did not give me
> any
> problems on my ThinkPad laptop even though I installed it on a separate
> VMware
> partition, in parallel with Windows 2000.

Is there a reason you changed the (hd0,0) to (hd0,2) in your edited
version?  Which partition is /boot on?

I have to ask, because the "root=" refers to grub's root, NOT the OS's
root!  Grub has to find its stuff somewhere, and you've now got it set
to look at the third primary partition on the first drive.

By the way, we prefer bottom-posting here.

-        Brain:  The organ with which we think that we think.        -