disk space

karlp at ourldsfamily.com karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Sat Sep 4 02:22:41 UTC 2004

> karlp at ourldsfamily.com wrote:
>> What, may I ask, is a sane method of moving rh v8.0 from an 8gb disk to
>> say, a 30gb disk? Ghost? Mount and copy?
>
> Partition the new drive, then mount each filesystem and "cp -a" or use
> ghost.  Either will work.
>
> NOTE:  Regardless of how you do it, you will need to install either grub
> or lilo on the new drive for it to boot.

I have no particular preference between the two. I use both currently on
different systems. Do you have a preference and if so, why?

> If you use lilo:
>
> 	# chroot /newdrive/boot
> 	# lilo
> 	# exit
>
> If you use grub:
>
> 	# grub-install /dev/whatever-the-new-drive-is

This way, I could keep both drives in the machine so thanks. Do I need to
change their jumpers so one is a master and the other a slave for them to
behave correctly?

Oh, and this is a production system (email; web; ssh server). Does that
change or modify your recommendations?  (and thanks Rick; always good for
sound advice.)

Karl