disk space

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Sep 7 22:58:31 UTC 2004

Mark Knecht wrote:
> Rick Stevens wrote:
>
>> karlp at ourldsfamily.com wrote:
>>
>>> What, may I ask, is a sane method of moving rh v8.0 from an 8gb disk to
>>> say, a 30gb disk? Ghost? Mount and copy?
>>

>> Partition the new drive, then mount each filesystem and "cp -a" or use
>> ghost.  Either will work.
>>
>> NOTE:  Regardless of how you do it, you will need to install either grub
>> or lilo on the new drive for it to boot.  If you use lilo:
>>
>>     # chroot /newdrive/boot
>>     # lilo
>>     # exit
>>
>> If you use grub:
>>
>>     # grub-install /dev/whatever-the-new-drive-is
>>

> Rick,
>    Hi. Long time.

Hi yourself!  Where have you been?

>    I've never done this sort of copy, but most of the threads I've read
> seemed to strongly suggest that you need to boot into some form of
> single user mode in order for this to be successful. Would you agree?

Yes, you want the filesystems to be as quiescent as possible when doing
the copy.  Ideally, you don't even want them mounted, so single user
mode (or rescue mode from the CD) is a good idea.

>    It is my assumption that since Karl wants to copy 'rh v8.0' that he
> really is copying the system drive. Maybe I'm wrong about that?

I don't think so.  I think he's trying to create a hot swap type of
thing in case something goes whacko and gronches the running system.  He
can then boot the other copy and recover that way.  Sort of a quasi-hot
swap.  I do it all the time.

>    Anyway, I've wondered this sort of stuff myself.

It's useful if you do experiments as I do.  Of course, I also have a
machine with removable drive bays and spare drives in carriers.  It's
not hot swap (certainly not with IDE), but it works.
-                   To err is human, to moo bovine.                  -