Install hangs on Proliant 1600

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Sep 9 00:01:48 UTC 2004

Ron Patton wrote:
> No, I haven’t tried that.  But I don’t have any IDE drives.  Does that
> matter?

Uhm, it still might.  Are you certain the CD isn't IDE?  Even if it
isn't, the system still pokes at the IDE bus and that can hang it.  We
had to set up about 30 servers in a two day period and about 50% of them
needed that even though they were SCSI.  I can't recall if they were
1600s or the slightly larger beast, but the "ide=nodma" seemed to do
the trick.  Once they were running, you could take that out of the boot
config so DMA was available for the CD, but the installer kernel
couldn't handle it.

By the way, Ron, we prefer bottom-posting here on the list (so do most
Linux-oriented lists).  Just a gentle nudge in the ribs.  :-)
-         C program run. C program crash. C programmer quit.         -