Linking, etc.

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Sep 9 23:42:55 UTC 2004

Fred Grant wrote:
> I have to hard drives, one has RH9 and the other a lightweight distro of
> FC1.  I was able to link my JRE on my lightweight Fedora1 drive to my
> RH9 drive.  This got me to wondering how or if programs on one drive
> might be run from a different drive?  I get segmentation errors if I try
> to run, say the RH9 evolution, from the Fedora drive.  When I'm using
> Fedora I have the RH9 drive mounted at /mnt/hd.  I was contemplating
> mounting RH9 on a folder in my home directory but I thought I'd best get
> some advice from some real computer gurus first.

Some stuff will run and some won't.  The problem has to do with which
libraries are used by what package and if they're compatible across
the platforms.  Evolution has gone through a number of changes between
RH9 and FC1 so no, they're not compatible.  However, jre is the same
between RH9 and FC1.  Your RH9 jre probably will even run on FC2.

In general, it's a "bad idea" to mix your OSes like that.  As I said,
some things don't mind and others do and that will change depending on
what gets updated.

To quote John Wayne in "True Grit":

	"Don't you rely on it, Hawk!  Don't you rely on it!"
-   Which is worse: ignorance or apathy?  I don't know.  Who cares?  -