Difference?

Alvaro Vives alvaro.vives at consulintel.es
Mon Sep 13 07:43:49 UTC 2004

Hi,

It's easy, smp means SMP support, i.e., Symmetric Multi-Processor support.
In my case RH noticed that I had 2 processors and installed two kernel images one with smp support and the common one. Both available in the boot loader with the smp one being the default one. (Not sure if you discovered smp this way :-)

You can take a look at the following HOWTO:

Parallel-Processing-HOWTO: http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/Parallel-Processing-HOWTO.html

Hope this helps.
Alvaro Vives