Building a new computer

Bruce McDonald brucemcdonal at mindspring.com
Mon Sep 13 18:42:45 UTC 2004

Hello,

    I am hoping to build a computer that I can dual boot Linux and Windows
(Sorry, my wife has programs she uses to assist her in writing that are
only windows).

Does anyone know of hardware that has no trouble with Linux, or a good
source of info about it.  I probably didn't follow google far enough, but
the sourceforge articles it pointed to were not entirely relevent.

I would like to use an AMD 64 bit processor Socket 754 (or Socket 939 if it
doesn't break the bank),  will probably get an ATI All-in-Wonder 9000 Pro
graphics card, a SoundBlaster Audigy 2ZS, US Robotics 56K Modem, and some
sort of DVD +-R +-RW drive.

Any wisdom on if any of this works or doesn't work with Linux would be
appreciated.
Also, I may have to step down to a 32 bit processor depending on the overall
cost of the system, so feel free to comment on those too.

I am also a bit confused about what I should be looking for on the power
supply to make sure I am getting one that supports software shutdown.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Bruce