Building a new computer

Bruce McDonald brucemcdonal at mindspring.com
Tue Sep 14 23:19:25 UTC 2004

It appears my reply went only to the writer and not to the list... so here
it is again straight to the list.

Hello linux r,

Thank you for the quick reply

> 2.  The other thing is cost.  For example I was going to build a box
> for someone a while back but I (as an individual) was unable to buy
> parts and assemble a box for as cheap as just going out and buying a
> Dell or something.  Determine what dollar figure is too much, say,
> $500 or something, and make sure you stay within.  I have seen someone
> spend $1200 on building a box with all the latest and greatest---real
> macho but stupid when you can buy a heck of a machine and just
> customize the order without ever getting your hands dirty.

I have been finding their customizing options a bit limited.
I have even considered after purchase upgrades to get what I want in a more
inexpensive system, however at that point they don't seem to have enough
available slots.  (Maybe I was forgetting to visualize pulling out a card
that would be replaced.... will have to check again)

> 3.  Talk to some LUG people about what they have seen and done.  Maybe
> you will luck out and someone in your LUG will have or be able to demo
> a machine for not too much.  I haven't spec'd out this machine, but it
> really helps to see what people have done already.

Good idea.
I thought Rick or others on this list had already started playing with the
64 bit processor systems.  Though I couldn't find the mails.

> 4.   sites:

> walmart.com  (look under pc's without Os-es for about $250 i hear)
> #http://www.tomshardware.com/#
> redhat.com  (search for hardware compatibility list-- HCL)
> linuxmigration.com   (highly recommended - also site has good burner
> tutorial etc.)
> #http://www.xandros.com/#

Thank you for the links, and your other ideas.
It gave me more to think about.

Regards,
Bruce