Building a new computer

Bruce McDonald brucemcdonal at mindspring.com
Wed Sep 15 02:35:40 UTC 2004

Hello Rick

On 14-Sep-04, you wrote:

> I do have an AMD64.  I can't recall which motherboard I used, however.
> I think it's the ASUS K8T-VE, but I won't swear to it.  Let me look when
> I get home to verify it.  I'm also using an ATI Radeon 9600SE video card
> The FC2 driver for the on-board 10/100 Marvell card's driver was broken
> (flooded the syslogs with a meaningless message), so I went with an
> Intel  PCI gigabit card.  I understand the newer Marvell driver works
> better but I haven't tried it.

>From what I have seen in reviews I found today on the ASUS A8V board, the
implementation of the Marvell onboard NIC is not so good.  It even needs a
new driver for windows users.
I was hoping I could regain a PCI slot from a NIC by getting a mobo with one
built in, maybe not.

> I put 1GB of RAM on it and installed FC2 (64-bit) on it.  All in all,
> I've very happy (the bloody thing compiles code like a rocket!)

I didn't know rockets had compilers...  which one do they use??  LOL

> Be warned:  There are a number of Mozilla plugins that won't install on
> the 64-bit platform (Macromedia FLASH, for example).  They will work
> fine if you fool the installer by poking stuff into /proc so it looks
> like an Athlon or i686.  A google search will reveal the method to use.

Oooooo.  Fun.
Puts that in list of things to research.

Thanks for the info.

Regards,
Bruce