Fetchmail 6 question

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Sep 16 22:42:42 UTC 2004

gerrynix wrote:
> --- Rick Stevens <rstevens at vitalstream.com> wrote:
>

>>gerrynix wrote:
>>
>>>Hello all,
>>>
>>>I'm attempting to resolve a fetch prob (someone else's box).
>>>
>>>It appears the config files are OK. Manual polls work
>>>fine... Mail lands in the correct boxes. However, automatic
>>>polling doesn't seem to be working. The thing is running
>>>in daemon mode as below.
>>>
>>>root 14355 1  0 14:25 ? 00:00:00 /usr/bin/fetchmail -d 60 -a -f /
>>>etc/fetchmailrc -L /var/log/fetchmail
>>>
>>>The logfile confirms the 60 second poll and is error free.
>>>fetchmail: sleeping at Thu Sep 16 14:55:09 2004
>>>fetchmail: awakened at Thu Sep 16 14:56:09 2004
>>>fetchmail: sleeping at Thu Sep 16 14:56:12 2004
>>>fetchmail: awakened at Thu Sep 16 14:57:12 2004
>>>fetchmail: sleeping at Thu Sep 16 14:57:15 2004
>>>
>>>and on and on, but no exchange... of course there is mail
>>>waiting :-)
>>>
>>>What am I not seeing?
>>
>>Without seeing the fetchmailrc, we can't tell.  As it is shown (and
>>unless there's "user so-and-so here" clauses in the fetchmailrc),
>>the
>>daemon will try to fetch mail for the root user only.  If you want
>>it to
>>fetch mail for all users, then you must have "user blah here"
>>clauses to
>>set the user names it's supposed to fetch mail for.
>

> This is the /etc/fetchmailrc... but doesn't the manual
> poll look here as well by default? Manual (server) polls
> work fine. It is absolutely determined that the address
> is correct.
>
> poll "adsl-xx-xx-xx-xx.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net" protocol POP3 : user
> "ron" there with password "******" is "ron" here ;
> (no CRs and password is clear text and confirmed)
>
> This is an example of an existing ~/.fetchmailrc
> perms are 600
>
> poll xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (as above)
>         proto pop3
>         user "ron"
>         pass "*******" (really clear text)
>         is rone
              ^^^^
>         keep
>         fetchall

If the stuff I underlined above is actually in the fetchmailrc, then
the system is trying to download mail for a local user named "rone".
Your manual run was as user "ron" so that who it used and it worked.
I suspect you don't have a user named "rone".
-   The light at the end of the tunnel is really an oncoming train.  -