Redhat EL 3 install, SATA RAID problems

David Watson redhat at scattered.com.au
Fri Sep 17 00:27:33 UTC 2004

Hi,

I'm having problems with the install of RedHat Enterprise Linux.

I downloaded the easy ISO "RedHat Enterprise Linux 3ES (i386) Update 3" from
the Redhat site which came with the 2.4.21-20 kernel.
When trying to install this on my Supermicro SuperServer 6013A-T
http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/1U/6013/SYS-6013A-T.cfm, I found
that only the 2.4.21-4 kernel is supported.

As noted in the Supermicro FAQs, only 2.4.21-4 is supported.
http://www.supermicro.com/support/faqs/faq.cfm?faq=1710

I have contacted Supermicro and they do not have a driver for 2.4.21-20.
After some back and forwarding between Redhat support and Supermicro, I have
established that they are waiting on an update from Adaptec (the maker of
the onboard SATA HostRAID chip) which they have no ETA for.

So the problem as I understand it is that I cannot install an rpm for the
kernel 2.4.21-4 as this does not have SATA support. The error I get is that
it cannot find the aarich module. And I cannot install the aarich rpm as
only kernel 2.4.21-4 is supported.

The perfect solution would be to find a RedHat Enterprise Linux 3ES release
which has the 2.4.21-4 kernel in it, I'm waiting on Redhat support at the
moment to confirm which kernels the previous release had in them.

Anyone have any other ideas on how to tackle this problem, any help would be
very much apprectiated?

Kind regards,
David Watson