Dial up failed

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Sep 17 00:48:57 UTC 2004

Nofriyadi Nurdam wrote:
> Hi all,
> I've tried dial up connection with wvdial. But it was connected and
> direct disconnected.
> Exit status = 10
> It means:
> The  PPP  negotiation failed, that is, it didnot reach the point
> where at least one network protocol (e.g. IP) was running.
> With ifconfig, i've received only eth0 and lo without ppp0.
> Could someone tell me how to bring up the ppp0?

Are you certain your system supports your modem?  If you have a
"winmodem", the odds are great that it flat won't work.  You have to
make sure you have a driver that supports your modem.  If minicom
can't access the modem, then wvdial can't either.

My suggestion: spend the $50 and buy a REAL modem.  You know...the kind
that plugs into a serial port.  Winmodems are bloody evil beasts.
-      Cuteness can be overcome through sufficient bastardry         -
-                                         --Mark 'Kamikaze' Hughes   -