Building a new computer

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Sep 23 18:37:02 UTC 2004

Bruce McDonald wrote:
> Hello Rick and everyone following this;
>
> In reference to  ASUS A8V board previously mentioned, I decided the NIC card
> issue did not pose a problem enough to drop the board from consideration.
> The only listing of the board on the ASUS web pages is for the A8V Deluxe,
> it comes with built in wireless.  Seems good, but the same NIC chipset.
>
> ASUS website says this:
> "It features 2000 MT/s HyperTransport Bus, dual-channel un-buffered DDR400
> memory support and AMD Cool 'n' Quiet! Technology."
>
> I want to use an AMD 64 processor with this motherboard and AMD states that
> you should use registered memory with this processor.
>
> I sent ASUS an email asking if the A8V Deluxe will work with registered
> memory.
> Their reply was: "This board does not require ECC memory. Thanks."
>
> I don't believe that actually answered my question.  I could postulate that
> since it does not _require_ ECC memory, that means it could use registered
> memory.  But I would still be guessing that is what they were saying which
> defeats the whole point of asking.
>
> I asked them for clarification, it has been 3 days since I sent that mail.
> I received the reply to the first email on the same day.
> Whew!!!   Long back story.
>

> So, I ask any Hardware people here.  Do you believe the motherboard would
> work with registered memory?

I'm not certain if it will or not.  I'm not using registered memory in
mine and the system seems quite happy.  I'd suggest trying non-
registered, name-brand RAM (Kingston, etc.) first.  If you have
problems, THEN think about the registered stuff.  Why spend money you
don't need to?  Just make sure you can return the regular RAM if it
doesn't work.
-           Fear is finding a ".vbs" script in your Inbox            -