Grub question (Ahem....help! Now it just says 'GRUB')

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 22:50:29 UTC 2004

Hi,
   Obviously I have some things to learn about grub. (Again, alas...) ;-)

   Here's my setup:

1) The machine's 80GB drive came with Win XP Pro
2) I resized /dev/hda1 using System Commander 7 (installed) to 30GB
3) Using System Commander I made a 30GB Extended partition (/dev/hda2)
to install Linux
4) Using SC7 I moved this partition up to the top of the drive. The
drive now looked like 30GB(NTSF), 20GB free, 30GB extended
5) I installed Linux by making 3 partitions within the extended partition
- /dev/hda5  - 50MB - /boot
- /dev/hda6 - 1GB - swap
- /dev/hda7 - Approx. 30 for /
6) I added a 5GB FAT32 partition just above the NTFS partition. (/dev/hda3)
7) Linux was installed and ran for 6 months. The disk looked like this
ASCII art:

<-- 30GB ext3 -->    [        |       ]
<-- 1GB Swap -->   [ Extended] /dev/hda2
<-- 50MB ext2 -->    [        |       ]
FREE SPACE (15GB)
<-- 5GB FAT32 -->
<--30GB NTFS -->

A couple of days ago, getting ready to add a Fedora Core boot to the
mix I did a couple of things:

8) Using System Commander 8.1 I enlarged the Extended partition to
cover 50GB. I rebooted the machine a couple of times. No problems.

9) Using System Commander 8.1 I moved /dev/hda5 down to the bottom of
the Extended partition, and I moved the swap partition down also. I
rebooted a couple of times. No problem.

10 Today I moved the 30GB hda7 partition downward to just above the
swap space. When I went to reboot the machine came up lame. Grub just
says GRUB and quits.

I'm confused about this.

1) I thought grub was in /dev/hda5. /dev/hda5 is marked as bootable,
not hda7. The machine has been booted since I moved hda5 and hda6. Why
did moving hda7 make any difference at all?

2) What do I do to get the machine booting again?

I've loaded Knoppix and all the partitions are there. They are in teh
same order they were in before. All the data appears top still be
there, although you cannot see grub so that part I'm not sure about.

Guru level guidance warmly appreciated.

thanks,
Mark