Grub question (Ahem....help! Now it just says 'GRUB')

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 03:25:26 UTC 2004

> What I mean is not hda5 has changed but the physical location has changed,
> i.e
>
> 1. hda2
> 2. hda5
> 3. hda4

> 1. hda5
> 2. hda2
> 3. hda4
>
> now it goes to position 2 to locate grub.conf but it is not there.
>
> The reason I'm saying that is there is a sequence that it goes thru and you
> get different messages depending on where it is at.  You are getting GRUB
> which means that it was properly booted, but it failed to load the menu
> therefore it didn't find the .conf file.  The best way to solve your problem
> is to go to the source code and that should clear up what I am saying.

Yes, I understood what you meant, but if you were to go back and look
at the original description you'll see that all I did was slide the
partitions around. System Commander will allow you to reposition a
partition, but all you can do is move it up and down until it runs
into another existing partition, so as far as Linux is concerned the
/dev/hdaX numebrs didn't change. When I booted Knoppix and looked at
the mount properties It was still hda5=50MB boot, hda6=1G swap and
hda7=30GB root. Iwas careful to ensure that I didn't remove any
partitions so that the renumbering wouldn't happen.

Anyway, your suggestion was what I was worried about happening. I was
careful to try to ensure it didn't. Things were named the same after
everythign was done, but I suspect that something happens in the
process that does get things confused. Obviously since the machine is
confused even though the partition numbering is the same.

I'm curious as to whether grub store some physical info about the root
partition, like it's starting and ending cluster numbers, etc., and
not jsut the /dev/hdaX number. That sort of thing would explain more
about this problem. hda7 is still hda7, but the address is different
so it doesn't think it's the same hda7...

Just a guess.

FC2 will complete in 5 minutes so I'll start the install and pick up
the pieces on the other side...

Thanks,
Mark