Grub question (Ahem....help! Now it just says 'GRUB')

res gzq res73gzq at verizon.net
Tue Sep 28 18:03:48 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Knecht" <markknecht at gmail.com>
To: "res gzq" <res73gzq at verizon.net>; "Getting started with Red Hat Linux"
<redhat-install-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2004 6:37 AM
Subject: Re: Grub question (Ahem....help! Now it just says 'GRUB')

> Good morning,
>    Using rez gzq's original idea that since I was going to install FC2
> I would get a new copy of grub in a different partition and I would be
> able to pick up my Gentoo installation using that grub I went ahead
> and did the install of FC2. It's up and running successfully, and I
> have access to my main Gentoo installation also. Great idea, and
> thanks.
>
>    I do notice that the FC2 default grub.conf file does not boot Win
> XP Pro correctly so I'll have to go figure that out later. Possibly
> there is a simple fix for that, or possibly it's a good reason to use
> System Commander 7 in the MBR instead of grub. Not sure. I am still
> able to get to XP through System Commander 7's boot features so
> nothing lost. Thanks to all who answered.
>
>    I am still perplexed as to why grub seems to have failed, or at
> least why it failed when it did. On my original setup I had
>
> /dev/hda5 - Gentoo /boot with grub (bootable)
> /dev/hda6 - swap
> /dev/hda7 - Gentoo /
> /dev/hda8 - FC2 /boot with grub (bootable)
> /dev/hda9 - FC2 /
>
> Since the Gentoo grub was installed in the first sector of /dev/hda5 I
> would have thought that it would fail when I moved hda5 at the
> beginning of the process to set up FC2. However, as I remember things
> it did not fail then, but failed when I moved hda7. I just do not
> understand that.
>
> I do think that, if you are going to use grub on something other than
> the MBR, having two copies of grub out on different partitions is an
> attractive safety feature. This way if I have to move one partition
> you still have another to get things booting. Probably overkill, but a
> small partition with nothing but grub in it is not a big price to pay
> except for the complexity.
>
> At this point I'm left with solving the Windows boot problem from
> grub, getting Gentoo's grub reset in it's boot partition, and then
> updating FC2 using PLanetCCRMA for bleeding edge audio. It will be fun
> to compare FC2 with updates done by pros to what I've been able to
> accomplish with Gentoo. I have no fantasies about while will likely
> work better! ;-)
>
> Cheers,
> Mark

I have Grub in MBR.  To boot to Windows, Grub should put a Chainloader to
the partition where Windows is located.

For the Windows entry:

root (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

this boots the windows Multi-boot loader (Please select the operating system
to start)
which selects among the Windows installations.  I believe that this should
boot your Windows if it is the only Windows on your disk.

This is the way I have it setup, altho there are probably different ways to
setup multi-vendor booting.

John