Grub question (Ahem....help! Now it just says 'GRUB')

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 01:38:35 UTC 2004

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 18:24:16 -0700, Rick Stevens
<rstevens at vitalstream.com> wrote:

> Now, if fstab use labels instead, such as:
>
>         LABEL=/usr  /usr     (blah, blah)
>
> this isn't a problem, as the system will look for a partition that's
> labeled "/usr", regardless of where it is.  This is the ONLY time that
> I think labels are OK.  Generally, I avoid them like the plague.

I'm unclear whether you think this would have helped my problem. I
think not. Using Stuart's info he said grb had two parts. In my case
grub said 'GRUB' but didn't say 'GRUB second phase loader' or whatever
that language is. I assume grub cannot find fstab on it's own,
correct?

Labels are sort of nice for my 1394 drives when I need to hook up
multiple drives and keep them straight, but actually I don't use them
for my systems.

thanks,
Mark