Postfix question

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Sep 30 20:26:53 UTC 2004

Rick Stevens wrote:
> Bob McClure Jr wrote:

>>> No, it doesn't modify the files, but remember that postfix runs in a
>>> chrooted environment.  Links (be they symbolic or hard) can't back up
>>> beyond what the chroot directory is, so postfix won't be able to see the
>>> targets of the links. That's why it needs local copies and not links
>>> to the system files.
>>

>> Umm, I disagree about hard links.  In the chrooted environment,
>> /etc/passwd contains the same inode that /etc/passwd does in the real
>> world.  So changes made to it (as long as the inode doesn't change) in
>> the real world will be seen in the chroot environment.  But as I
>> mentioned earlier you couldn't hard-link them anyway if they are on
>> separate filesystems.  I normally put /var/spool on a different FS on
>> my server installations.

Reposting my answer (hit SEND too soon):

You're right about the hard links.  They will work in a chroot, but hard
links can't span filesystems for that exact reason--shared inodes.

Unless you set up a weird system where /etc and /var are on the same
filesystem (a practice I STRONGLY disagree with), hard links won't work.
-  BASIC is the Computer Science version of `Scientific Creationism' -