Changing what Gnome launchers do...

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Sat Apr 2 00:57:03 UTC 2005

Mark Knecht wrote:
> Hi,
>    I'm sort of surprised that there isn't some obvious (to me
> anyway...) gui-based way to change what a launcher on the default FC2
> Gnome desktop does. I right click and I can change permissions and
> icons, but I don't seem to be able to change the actual command it's
> executing.

It's all a bit weird.  If it's a true launcher (e.g. one of the ones on
the menu bar), a right click on it, then selecting "Properties" should
pop up a box that has the name, generic name, comment and command name
in it.  Modify them as needed and click "Close".  That should do it.

If you're talking about the icons on the desktop, that's all handled
by gconf XML files.  A reasonable about of help is available on-line:

RedHatIcon->Help->Desktop->System Administration Guide

>    What am I missing here? How do you do this? I see that there are
> files actually on the desktop that can be edited in vi. Is this the
> only way provided?

No, you can use gconftool-2 to bugger things.  It's not difficult, but
the first few times can be downright confusing.
-      "Microsoft is a cross between The Borg and the Ferengi.       -
-  Unfortunately they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to  -
-               do their programming."  -- Simon Slavin              -