Changing what Gnome launchers do...

karlp at ourldsfamily.com karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Sat Apr 2 18:28:24 UTC 2005

> Mark Knecht wrote:
>> Hi,
>>    I'm sort of surprised that there isn't some obvious (to me
>> anyway...) gui-based way to change what a launcher on the default FC2
>> Gnome desktop does. I right click and I can change permissions and
>> icons, but I don't seem to be able to change the actual command it's
>> executing.
>
> It's all a bit weird.  If it's a true launcher (e.g. one of the ones on
> the menu bar), a right click on it, then selecting "Properties" should
> pop up a box that has the name, generic name, comment and command name
> in it.  Modify them as needed and click "Close".  That should do it.
>
> If you're talking about the icons on the desktop, that's all handled
> by gconf XML files.  A reasonable about of help is available on-line:
>
> RedHatIcon->Help->Desktop->System Administration Guide
>
>>    What am I missing here? How do you do this? I see that there are
>> files actually on the desktop that can be edited in vi. Is this the
>> only way provided?
>
> No, you can use gconftool-2 to bugger things.  It's not difficult, but
> the first few times can be downright confusing.

Okay, I have to jump in with my archaic method... I too found this very
annoying, so I just open a gnome-terminal window, then cd .gnome-desktop
and vi the 'offending' launcher and change the line entitled
Exec=/path/to/command

There you go. Easy as it can be. Why can't the Properties show the command
like KDE does? Of course, I use WindowMaker at home and work now; I like
it's feel better. I just wish it was updated with newer than RH9
releases... Of course that's another topic.

Karl