Samba and domains

Ralph E. Kenyon, Jr. diogenes at xenodochy.org
Thu Apr 7 15:47:53 UTC 2005

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 06:59:20 -0400, John Dunn <jdunn at sefas.com> wrote:

> I am having problems getting Samba to work on Red hat 9.
>
> I want to add the linux server to the domain and access the linux
> directories via my domain login on a Windows 2000 PC.
>
> I want to replicate the setup I have on an AIX box. The aix smb.conf is
> listed below. I have the same on linux.
>
> I can see the linux server listed in the domain when I browse in windows,
> but when I click on the icon for the server I get a message that the
> linux
> server is notaccessible and the "network path is not found"
>
> Any clues?
>

> [global]
>     netbios name = DEMO
>     workgroup = DOMAIN
>     security = domain
>     encrypt passwords = yes
>     wins support = yes
>
> [4675]
>     comment = For test only
>     path = /home/sefas/director/opd4675/traffic
>     read only = no
>     guest ok = yes

I have "security - SHARE" in mine, but I also have fixed IP addresses in
the local network, so mine includes
hosts allow = 192.168.0 127.
This restricts access to only hosts with those IP addresses.

I also have
smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd

Instead of "read only = no", I have "writable = yes"

Hope this helps...

--
Ralph E. Kenyon, Jr.
http://www.xenodochy.org/ralph.html

Home pages:
http://www.xenodochy.org
http://www.ballroomdances.org
FIGHT SPAM http://www.xenodochy.org/diogenes/antispam.html
(If you are thinking about collecting my email address, read the above
page first!)
Keep our semantic environments and cyberspace clean.
Always report errors discovered while surfing the web.
My favorite saying (from general semantics):
It's not that seeing is believing, believing is seeing,
and we're much better at believing than we are at seeing.
http://www.xenodochy.org/ex/quotes/santayana.html