smartd.conf

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Apr 7 17:31:09 UTC 2005

Scott Mertens wrote:
> I am getting a [FAILED] on the bootup for smartd.
>
> The man pages say this is some sort of disk monitoring service, and I am
> wondering if it is failing because my SATA drives are being recognized
> as SCSI drives as seem below.
>
> Disk /dev/sda: 200.0 GB, 200049647616 bytes
> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 24321 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
>
>   Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/sda1   *           1          13      104391   83  Linux
> /dev/sda2              14       24321   195254010   8e  Linux LVM

smartd is a daemon that watches SMART-compatible drives.  SMART allows
the drive to tell the daemon how healthy it is (total number of power
on hours, number of power cycles, etc.).  It isn't necessary for you
to use it--and many drives aren't SMART-compatible.

In other words, don't worry about it.
-                Huked on foniks reely wurked for me!                -