fc3 evaluation

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 17:09:18 UTC 2005

On Apr 11, 2005 9:57 AM, Parek Andrada <parek8 at gmail.com> wrote:
> First off be gentle, noob here.
>
> I'm trying to evaluate various freeware linux distros to implement as
> desktop and server. Seems that there's a myriad of distros to choose
> from and I want to know some people that have gone thru my path.
> 1. Mandrake seems to be consumer-oriented. Official requires you to
> pay yearly membership for updates although you can get updates without
> being a member (no fee) if you urpmi from mirrors other than Mandrake.
> 2. A lot of red hat-based distros like wbel (very active mailing
> lists, but just maintained by 1 person), centos (updates regularly as
> community based), lineox (did not test), Scientific Linux, etc.
> 3. Suse based, novell (requires fees for updates after 1 free year),
> yoper (synaptic upgrades)
>
> Also tried debian, ubuntu, slackware and freebsd and the more I test
> the more I get confused on what to use as some has
> strengths/weaknesses. Now, I just want some honest opinions not biased
> on some distro although I am biased on fc3 as I am sending to this
> lists!

Hi Parek,
   I've not had good luck at all with FC3. It hasn't installed
cleanly, has trouble during install sometimes if USB devices are
attached, and when I did get it installed I had trouble with
ndiswrapper. FC3 was a big disappointment to me. I've done far better
with FC2. I run 3 machines here at home and we're all happy. To me
it's been the best binary distribution I've used. I hope FC4 is better
than FC3.

   One distro you didn't mention but I'm very happy with is Gentoo.
It's a real learning experience getting it going but when you do it's
real quality stuff. It's very easy IMHO to maintain. If your machines
are fast and can stand all the compiling of code then you might
consider it. Unlike FCx once installed you never have upgrades to
think about - just updates.

Cheers,
Mark