missing yum

Ted Potter tpotter at techmarin.com
Mon Aug 15 19:39:40 UTC 2005

Greetings,

I took the plunge and upgrade from RH9 to FC4. All seems well but I was
concerned that there were no updates indicated by up2date.

I tried this

# up2date
An error has occurred:
exceptions.ImportError
See /var/log/up2date for more information

/var/log/up2date says this:

[Mon Aug 15 12:36:19 2005] up2date   File "/usr/sbin/up2date", line
1265, in ?
    sys.exit(main() or 0)
   File "/usr/sbin/up2date", line 328, in main
    sources = sourcesConfig.getSources()
   File "/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/sourcesConfig.py", line 263, in
getSource                                                         s
    scfg = SourcesConfigFile(filename="/etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources")
   File "/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/sourcesConfig.py", line 42, in
__init__
    self.load()
   File "/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/sourcesConfig.py", line 85, in
load
    self.parseRepomd(line)
   File "/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/sourcesConfig.py", line 219, in
parseRepo                                                         md
    from repoBackends import yumBaseRepo
   File "/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/repoBackends/yumBaseRepo.py",
line 14, in                                                          ?
    import yum

from poking around I can find no program called yum. from the fedora
website should I not
at least have a /etc/yum.conf file ?

anyway any pointers or whatever to get me the ability to do updates
would be greatly
appreciated.

PS FC4 seems to rock !

Thank you.