Help with RHAS 4 and GFS 6.1

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Aug 16 16:46:57 UTC 2005

Samad, Alex wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am trying to install GFS 6.1 onto a new RHAS 4 machine, I have been
> following the admin & config guides on the redhat web site.  My first
> problem seems to be I can’t find clvmd or clvm – the cluster volume
> manager and its associated deamon
>
> Do I just use the normal lvm tools to do this ?

You use the normal lvm2 tools to create the physical volumes, volume
groups and logical volumes (pvcreate, etc.).  You must use clvmd to make
the volumes cluster-aware and you must set up an appropriate lock
manager (gulm, etc.).

I've not used the commercial version of GFS.  My experience is with the
CVS tarballs, so I don't know what comes in the various RPMs nor where
the stuff gets installed by the RPMs.  You can query the RPMs via "rpm
-qil -p name-of-package.rpm" to see what in each RPM and were it will be
installed.

Wish I could be of more help.
-   NEWS FLASH! Intelligence of mankind decreasing!  Details at...   -
-     uh, when, uh, the little hand is, uh, on the...  Aw, NUTS!     -