Help - Red Hat

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 22 16:59:02 UTC 2005

On Mon, Aug 22, 2005 at 11:33:41PM +0800, Peter Cheng wrote:
> Dear Red Hat Friends
>

> I have a crashed Red Hat Server AS 3.0. The server shut down and
> restarted this morning. The Red Hat Startup process completed with many
> Failure messages. Ethernet 0 & 1 were both not accessible. CD-ROM,
> Floppy and USB are also not working at all. X Windows Starts OK and all
> partitions mounted properly.
>
> Some of the Failure messages in the System Log are:
>
> *     ntpd: failed
>
> *     network: bringing up interface eth0: failed
>
> *     network: bringing up interface eth1: failed
>
> *     xinetd(1494): warning, can't get client address. Transport
> endpoint is not connected
>
> I am currently using Kernel:  Red Hat Enterprise AS 2.4.21-4.ELsmp and
> Red Hat recommends to upgrade but we have not upgraded yet.
>
> Your help is very much appreciated.
>

> Peter

A problem that widespread smells like a hardware failure.  I'd start
by pulling and reseating all cards and memory sticks.  Then run
memtest86 from your CD (if it's there - if not go to
http://www.memtest86.com/ and get it).  If it's still flakey, you
could have a bad power supply.

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com