Data Recovery Help

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 23 16:17:53 UTC 2005

Any chance you could beat your mailer into submission and make it wrap
lines every 72 chars or so?  I'll reformat this.

On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 08:32:55AM -0600, Mugleston, Brad wrote:
> My son's college computer died.  He's got a lot of files on the
> drive he needs.  It's been years since I've messed with windows and
> file recovery BUT I believe I know how to do it using Linux 8^).
> I'm looking for a Linux rescue CD (probably and ISO).  I know there
> were some credit card once available and I've found those but they
> are very old.  Anyone know of a newer version, full size CD would be
> fine (don't have one of those neat USB things, yet).

All of the FC distro CD1s (and RH 9, I think) have a rescue function.
Just put "linux rescue" at the boot prompt.

You might consider Tom's Root and Boot:

http://www.toms.net/rb/

It fits the essentials of Linux on a floppy.

> I'll need it to be able to access an Windows XP drive(s)

If it's an NTFS filesystem, you may well have problems.  If it's FAT*
you're okay.

> and move
> the files across my home network to save someplace.  Graphical would
> be best as that way my son can do the work but if command line is
> all that is available he will survive - he needs to grow up
> sometime.
>
> Also, some basic instructions would be fantastic as I'll probably
> just given him the location and get one of his friends to burn the
> CD for him.
>
> One last thing - please respond directly as I can only send email to
> the list from where I'm at (I get all the traffic at home).
>
> Thanks
>
> Brad

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com