NFS help

brad.mugleston at comcast.net brad.mugleston at comcast.net
Fri Aug 26 03:49:30 UTC 2005

I'm trying again to get an NFS system set up on my home network.
The book I have says I need to add to my /etc/fstab file a line
like this

mailserver:/var/spool/mail /var/spool/mail nfs timeo=20,intr

When I do that I get the error

mount: can't get address for mailserver

and yes the machine I'm looking for is named mailserver.

I've had this problem before and ended up getting around it by
giving the server a fixed IP but if possible I'd rather not do
that (no reason, I'm just trying to learn the correct way).

So, any help out there?

I'm running FC2 on mailserver and RH9 on the machine I'm trying
to connect from.

Brad Mugleston, KI0OT

There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those that
understand binary and those that don't.