Redhat Linux ES 4 will not load after I installed a Raid card

john.bergeski at alpsautomotive.com john.bergeski at alpsautomotive.com
Fri Aug 26 20:17:12 UTC 2005

Thanks for the reply, I did setup the hardware raid first using the IBM
ServeRAID disk. I setup 70GB RAID 1 drive and a 146GB Raid 1 drive. REDHAT
ES4 only gets a little further than the first screen where it asks you if
you want to use the GUI to load or the command line option.

John

             Rick Stevens
             <rstevens at vitalst
             ream.com>                                                  To
             Sent by:                  Getting started with Red Hat Linux
             redhat-install-li         <redhat-install-list at redhat.com>
             st-bounces at redhat                                          cc
             .com
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: Redhat Linux ES 4 will not load
             08/26/2005 04:12          after I installed a Raid card
             PM

             Please respond to
              Getting started
               with Red Hat
                   Linux
             <redhat-install-l
              ist at redhat.com>

john.bergeski at alpsautomotive.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I installed a ServeRaid -7k Ultra 320 SCSI raid controller on my IBM 346
> server. I tried to get software RAID to work but gave up after a few
days(I
> am very new to LINUX). Now after I configured my drives as RAID 1 with
the
> ServeRaid program Redhat will load up to a point and the server will show
> an error and then reboot by itself. Any thoughts?

The ServeRaid is a hardware RAID card...you don't use software RAID on
it.

You need to set up the RAID using the ServeRaid program first, THEN
install RHES4 on the resulting RAID drive.
redhat-install-list-request at redhat.com