NFS and firewall

brad.mugleston at comcast.net brad.mugleston at comcast.net
Sat Aug 27 23:20:05 UTC 2005

I'm trying to set NFS up on my home computers and from going
through the HOW-TO and other write up's it should be working, but
it's not.  I can ping from machine to machine, I'm using IP
address to allow everything to work as suggested in the writeups
(for instance /etc/exposts is /home
192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0(rw)).

I'm getting an error message

rpcinfo:can't contact portmapper: RPC:Remote system error- No
route to host

Searching on the web it sounds like I may have a firewall set up
to restrictive but as far as I can tell I've every firewall down.

So, how can I tell the status of a firewall

1 - Red Hat 9.0 (client)
2 - FC2 (server)
3 Motorola WR850G (Wireless Broadband Switch) - note the machines
are wired to the Motorola and from what it looks like the
firewall is off on this box.

OR, what else would you suggest?

Also, the server is two floors down from where the client it -
how difficult is it to get SSH working, or will it work if NFS
will not?

Thanks and have a great rest of the weekend.

Brad Mugleston, KI0OT

There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those that
understand binary and those that don't.