LVM Question

Waldher, Travis R Travis.R.Waldher at boeing.com
Tue Dec 20 16:00:57 UTC 2005

The reason being...

If /home is actually under the / filesystem the users can fill up your
root filesystem. Which is bad.

/home should be it's own LVM partition

My filesystems are actually:

/dev/cciss/c0d0p1	512M	20M	439M	5%	/boot
/dev/vg00/lvol1   2048M	254M	1.7G	14%	/
/dev/vg00/lvol2	512M	8.1M	463M	2%	/home
/dev/vg00/lvol3	1024M	0	1007M	0%	/dev/shm
/dev/vg00/lvol4	2048M	76M	1.8G	4%	/var
/dev/vg00/lvol6	2048M	33M	1.9G	2%	/tmp
/dev/vg00/lvol7	7168M	1.9G	4.8G	29%	/usr

This keeps my root filesystem safe.

Also, it's not *easy* to extend your root filesystem, unless that
ext2online feature is now working again/properly.  Even then, I can't
remember if you could actually extend the root filesystem.

But you could extend /var, /home, /usr, /tmp, etc. with much adoo.