no linux after reboot

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 9 15:04:28 UTC 2005

On Sat, Dec 10, 2005 at 03:18:32AM +1300, Grant Allan wrote:
> >> hi,
> >>
> >> i have some more news: grub.conf looks OK to me.
> >> but grub-install generates an error as follows:
> >>    /dev/hdd1 does not have any corresponding BIOS drive
> >>
> >> does that maybe mean that i should jump into BIOS and get it to
> >> autodetect
> >> my hard drives?  i forgot to do that yesterday.
> >
> > It's probably already doing that.  It's unrelated.
> >
> >> cheers,
> >> grant
> >
> > Just another detail to take care of what the installer missed.  After
> > you have chrooted to /mnt/sysimage, edit /boot/grub/device.map to add
> > the line
> >
> > (hd3)     /dev/hdd
> >
> > assuming "hd3" is not mapped to some other device.  Note that in
> > grub.conf, numbering starts at 0, not 1.  Then do the grub-install
> > thing.  If that doesn't work, you may need to tell us more about the
> > drive and partitioning arrangement, and post grub.conf, if you can.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > --
> > Bob McClure, Jr.
>
> Hi,
>
> Yay, I'm no longer getting windows!  Furthermore, I have learned today
> about bottom posting.

Hurray!  And don't be afraid to trim unrelated or unnecessary cruft
like mailing list footer and excess lines in the sigs.

> However, I now have the following on rebooting my machine:
>
> GRUB Loading stage1.5
> GRUB loading, please wait...
> Error 21
>
> To make sure I tell you the right stuff regarding partitions & disks,
> please can you tell me if there is a way to query for this info (e.g.
> using linux rescue)?

Hmm.  I dunno.  If you have another machine on your local net, maybe
you could start up networking during the rescue startup, then chroot
to /mnt/sysimage, and then you could scp (secure cp using SSH) the
info to another machine.

> I have both put old and new hard drives on the one ribbon, but by my
> understanding that doesn't add up with the name /hdd, so I'd like to find
> out for sure.

That's correct.  Here's how the labeling goes:

Controller  Drive   Device   Grub map
---------   -----   ------   --------
Primary     Master  /dev/hda (hd0)
Primary     Slave   /dev/hdb (hd1)
Secondary   Master  /dev/hdc (hd2)
Secondary   Slave   /dev/hdd (hd3)

I might also mention that, in general, jumpering drives as Cable
Select (CS) is evil.  Just jumper the drives as master and slave as
appropriate.  That _always_ works.

> Thanks again,
> Grant

Cheers,