no linux after reboot

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 9 15:58:56 UTC 2005

On Sat, Dec 10, 2005 at 04:41:59AM +1300, Grant Allan wrote:

> >> Hurray!  And don't be afraid to trim unrelated or unnecessary cruft
> >> like mailing list footer and excess lines in the sigs.

> >> Hmm.  I dunno.  If you have another machine on your local net, maybe
> >> you could start up networking during the rescue startup, then chroot
> >> to /mnt/sysimage, and then you could scp (secure cp using SSH) the
> >> info to another machine.

> >> That's correct.  Here's how the labeling goes:
> >>
> >> Controller  Drive   Device   Grub map
> >> ---------   -----   ------   --------
> >> Primary     Master  /dev/hda (hd0)
> >> Primary     Slave   /dev/hdb (hd1)
> >> Secondary   Master  /dev/hdc (hd2)
> >> Secondary   Slave   /dev/hdd (hd3)
> >>
> >> I might also mention that, in general, jumpering drives as Cable
> >> Select (CS) is evil.  Just jumper the drives as master and slave as
> >> appropriate.  That _always_ works.

> >> Cheers,
> >> --
> >> Bob McClure, Jr.             Bobcat Open Systems, Inc.
> >
> > ok,
> >
> > so since my second hard-drive is on the same ribbon as /dev/hda, i expect
> > it to be hdb, not hdd.
> >
> > this makes it odd that calling grub-install generated an error that
> > "/dev/hdd1 does not have any corresponding BIOS drive"
> >
> > is it possible to fire up that druid thingy from the rescue cd to see if
> > the names are mixed up?
> >
> > cheers,
> > grant
>

> hi,
>
> my new drive is jumpered to be slave.  (but i didn't check whether the
> existing disk was master, just assumed it would be.)
>
> i have run up qtparted on a "system recovery CD" that i have.  it confirms
> that my disks are /dev/hda and /dev/hdd.  partition details:
>
>  /dev/hda1  80G    ntfs     Active
>  /dev/hda-1  8M    free
>
>  /dev/hdd1  100M   ext3     Active   /boot
>  /dev/hdd2  2G     fat32
>  /dev/hdd3  10G    ext3              /home
>  /dev/hdd4  25G    extended
>   +-- /dev/hdd5    unknow

Hmm.  That's odd if you're certain that the new drive is on the cable
to the primary controller.  I'd be interested in how the BIOS reports
the drives during POST (power-on self test, i.e. boot).

I also wonder why it lists /dev/hdd5 as unknown.  What is your root
partition?

But if "linux rescue" mounts it without carps, I'd run "mount" or "df"
before doing the chroot, to see what is where.

> cheers,
> grant

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com