no linux after reboot

Grant Allan grant at forum8.co.nz
Fri Dec 9 16:28:54 UTC 2005

>>> After
>>> add

>>> grub-install
>>> the
>>> can.

>>> today

>>> disks,
>>> (e.g.

>>> my

>>> expect

>>> if

>>> hi,
>>>
>>> my new drive is jumpered to be slave.  (but i didn't check whether the
>>> existing disk was master, just assumed it would be.)
>>>
>>> i have run up qtparted on a "system recovery CD" that i have.  it
>>> confirms
>>> that my disks are /dev/hda and /dev/hdd.  partition details:
>>>
>>>  /dev/hda1  80G    ntfs     Active
>>>  /dev/hda-1  8M    free
>>>
>>>  /dev/hdd1  100M   ext3     Active   /boot
>>>  /dev/hdd2  2G     fat32
>>>  /dev/hdd3  10G    ext3              /home
>>>  /dev/hdd4  25G    extended
>>>   +-- /dev/hdd5    unknow
>>
>> Hmm.  That's odd if you're certain that the new drive is on the cable
>> to the primary controller.  I'd be interested in how the BIOS reports
>> the drives during POST (power-on self test, i.e. boot).
>>
>> I also wonder why it lists /dev/hdd5 as unknown.  What is your root
>> partition?
>>
>> But if "linux rescue" mounts it without carps, I'd run "mount" or "df"
>> before doing the chroot, to see what is where.
>>
>>> cheers,
>>> grant
>>
>> Cheers,
>> --
>> Bob McClure, Jr.             Bobcat Open Systems, Inc.
>
> "mount" says:
> /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 on / type ext3 (rw, defaults)
> /dev/hdd1 on /boot type ext3 (rw, defaults)
> /dev/hdd3 on /home type exts (rw, defaults)
> /dev/hdd2 on /mnt/fat32 type vfat (rw, defaults)
> /dev/proc on /proc type proc (rw, defaults)
> /dev/sys on /sys type sysfs (rw, defaults)
>
> i don't see any POST, the error is pretty much instant.  but i've just
> gone to BIOS and seen that Primary Drive 1 is set to "OFF".  hmmm... might
> tweak that and see what happens.
>
> cheers,
> grant

Oops.  That was bad.  System wouldn't boot and didn't even let me back
into the BIOS.  However, some kind of time-out happened and the clouds
rolled away.

So then I tried to set my second Secondary Drive to auto-detect (it was
also set to "OFF") and now error 21 has gone away.  I'm getting a GNU GRUB
version 0.95 command prompt.

I think that it's an improvement.  I'll try changing the device.map again

Cheers,
grant