no linux after reboot

Grant Allan grant at forum8.co.nz
Sat Dec 10 12:35:56 UTC 2005

>> just

>> > Oops.  That was bad.  System wouldn't boot and didn't even let me back
>> > into the BIOS.  However, some kind of time-out happened and the clouds
>> > rolled away.
>> >
>> > So then I tried to set my second Secondary Drive to auto-detect (it
>> was
>> > also set to "OFF") and now error 21 has gone away.  I'm getting a GNU
>> GRUB
>> > version 0.95 command prompt.
>> >
>> > I think that it's an improvement.  I'll try changing the device.map
>> again
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> > grant
>>

>> now "linux rescue" when booting from CD is no longer giving me rescue
>> mode, but instead starting up the installer.
>
> Umm, perhaps you mistyped "rescue".
>
>> so that's it for me tonight
>> (it's heading to 2am.)
>
> Go for it.
>
>> thanks for your suggestions,
>> grant
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Bob McClure, Jr.             Bobcat Open Systems, Inc.

Just a brief note to say "thanks for all your help!".  I have FC4 running
now!!

I dismantled the PC again today, and found that <insert severe
embarrasment> I had NOT put the new drive on the same ribbon as the
existing drive as I claimed yesterday, but on the same ribbon as the
CD-drive.

I checked my original hard-drive and found it was jumpered for "cable
select", so I re-jumpered it as master and put the new drive (as slave)
onto the same ribbon.  Going through the FC install again, my drives were
/hda and /hdb.  Yay!

After complete re-install, I was back to error 21 again, but some hints
you gave yesterday did the trick for me this time around.  So now we're
all go!

Thanks again,
Grant

PS: I think you were also right about me mistyping "rescue" <insert more
embarrassment>.