httpd mod proxy?

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Mon Dec 19 00:31:18 UTC 2005

On 18Dec2005 08:21, Harold Hallikainen <harold at hallikainen.com> wrote:
| I keep finding stuff like this in my logs. Is there any danger? If so,
| what should I do to stop it?
[...]
| --------------------- httpd Begin ------------------------
|  Connection attempts using mod_proxy:
|     218.167.96.35 -> smtp.rol.ru:25: 1 Time(s)

Yeah, sounds like someone if exploiting your httpd's mod_proxy config
to try to send spam (port 25 is SMTP, the simple mail transfer protocol).

I presume this is on a public web server. Such things should not have proxies
on them, or at least have the proxying VERY VERY VERY restricted.

Can you elaborate more on your setup?

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Me, I'm still finding it hard to come to terms with the notion that there
wasn't Jell-o at the Last Supper.       - silver at xrtll.uucp (Hi Ho Silver)