LVM Question

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Dec 19 20:00:38 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-12-19 at 20:10 +0100, Arden B. Norder wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> I use LVM regularly on "mega servers" in much the same way that RedHat is
> talking about. I do it in this way because it makes my life alot easier foar
> adding space or moving space from one machin to another.
>
> Gotta like it.

I agree.  Having / on a fixed size filesystem isn't generally a problem.
I might even say /usr is also OK, unless you like to add lots of new
software.

That being said however, /home on a multiuser system will rapidly fill
up and having it on LVM so you can grow it on the fly is a "good
thing".  Also, depending on what your system is doing and how careful
you are about tracking things, /var (as in /var/log) on an LVM volume
can also be useful--logs can grow to be huge farking things.

Again, it rather depends on what you're planning to have the system do.
For the vast majority of home users, LVM is nice but not really
necessary.  On large multipurpose server systems, LVM is almost
mandatory!

> Greetings from Holland!!! ;)

And greetings to you as well, from La-La-Land (California)!

> On Dec 19, 2005 05:33 PM, Mark McCulligh <mmcculli at visualtech.ca> wrote:
>
> > Hi Group,
> >
> > I am building a server using Software Raid and plan to setup LVM
> > (Logical Volume Manager) on the Raid and have a question.  I was reading
> > the Red Hat  manual on LVM and in their example they created a Volume
> > Group with Logical Volumes swap, /home and / .   Why would you what to
> > create the /home mount point?  Would not it be better just to have the
> > swap and / ? Then /home, /usr. /var, etc.. would share the / storage
> > space.
> >
> > Just wondering why would you use LVM, then fix the size of your /home?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Mark.

-   "Do you suffer from long-term memory loss?"  "I don't remember"  -
-                            -- Chumbawumba, "Amnesia" (TubThumping) -