Trash

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Dec 22 16:41:52 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-12-21 at 22:37 -0700, brad.mugleston at comcast.net wrote:

> > Remember that reclaimed space may not show up in a "du -h" command
> > until ALL programs using that directory terminate or close their open
> > file handles to that filesystem.  The surest way of doing that is to
> > reboot or do use "lsof" or "fuser" to identify processes with open
> > file descriptors on the filesystem in question and shutting down those
> > processes.
> >

> Wow, that really helps - thanks.  I'll have to play with lsof and
> fuser to see how it works.

Well, "lsof" lists open files.  You can give it a bunch of different
options to restrict its listing or pipe it to grep and look for things.

"fuser" shows which users have a specific file or network socket open
(handy for finding backdoor worms and such when you think "ps" has been
compromised...most rootkits don't screw with fuser).

-    I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it!      -