What is /.journal?

A.Fadyushin at it-centre.ru A.Fadyushin at it-centre.ru
Tue Dec 27 17:04:41 UTC 2005

The /.journal file is created when the _existing_ EXT2 filesystem is
converted to EXT3 filesystem. That file contains the filesystem journal
used by EXT3. The file is only created during the conversion EXT2->EXT3
because it is impossible to create separate region on the existing EXT2
filesystem for the journal - therefore, the journal is placed in the
file /.journal (which is similar to regular files but is unremovable
under EXT3). When the EXT3 filesystem is created anew, the journal is
placed on disk separately from the space used for files' data, so there
is no need to reserve that space via special file entry.

Alexey Fadyushin
Brainbench MVP for Linux.
http://www.brainbench.com