Messed up PCI Again

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 31 22:23:41 UTC 2005

On Sat, Dec 31, 2005 at 11:35:44AM -0800, Harold Hallikainen wrote:
> I previously posted something about my HP laptop running FC4 suddenly
> giving PCI conflict messages during boot, and those keeping my WLAN from
> working. I fixed it by doing a re-install of FC4.
>
> Well, I did it again! Last night I let yum do a kernel update. I think
> that's what did it, as now I'm getting those same messages. The wired LAN
> still works, so I have net access on the machine.
>
> How do I go back to a previous version of the kernel? RH8 used to ask me
> during boot which version I wanted to boot. My installation of FC4 doesn't
> do this.

I think, in FC4 there is a new option in grub.conf called
"hiddenmenu".  The way that works, when the GRUB screen comes up, it
says something about booting kernel-<some_version> in N seconds.  The
timeout is five seconds.  If you hit any key during that countdown,
you will get the normal GRUB menu with the choice of however many
kernels you have.

> Is there some file I can edit to tell it to use a previous
> version (if it's still there) or a way to re-install the previous version?

To go back to the usual GRUB menu, change this in
/boot/grub/grub.conf:

  timeout=5
  splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
  hiddenmenu

  timeout=10
  splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
  # hiddenmenu

If you want the older kernel by default, change the "default"
argument.  The kernel stanzas in grub.conf are numbered from 0, so you
probably want to change

  default=0

  default=1

> THANKS!
>
> Harold

Happy New Year,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
Peace begins not at a Mideast table, but at a Mideast stable