Logging into pppd through mgetty

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Feb 2 18:14:08 UTC 2005

Koushik Narayanan wrote:
> Is the mgetty package that comes with FC3 support AutoPPP?
> I set AutoPPP login in /etc/mgetty+sendfax/login.conf but I get
> cmd='/bin/login' in /var/log/mgetty.log.ttyS? when someone tries to
> login.

That's indicative that you don't have the config set right, as the
default behaviour of mgetty is to run login.

The line in /etc/mgetty+sendfax/login.conf should read something like:

     /AutoPPP/ -    a_ppp   /usr/sbin/pppd auth -chap +pap login debug

(the "/" characters MUST be present around the "AutoPPP" bit).  You must
also restart the mgetty processes on the serial lines after buggering
this file (I can't recall if a SIGHUP is enough).  If you have the
mgettys running via "respawn" entries in /etc/inittab, simply killing
the existing mgettys will cause them to restart.  You can do this via
(as root):

	# killall mgetty

or do a "ps ef | grep mgetty" and kill the processes you want.  If they
aren't run via inittab, then you could try sending them a SIGHUP:

	# killall -HUP mgetty
-   Which is worse: ignorance or apathy?  I don't know.  Who cares?  -