smbmnt must be installed suid root...

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 23:51:50 UTC 2005

Hi,
   I am able to setup an NFS mount in fstab so that a user can mount
it but I cannot do the same for an smbfs mount. So far I always get a
message back saying:

smbmnt must be installed suid root
for direct user mounts (500,500)
smbmnt failed: 1

I did some Googling and see this is a fairly common post, but it seems
that the agreed upon solution is not. Some say that changing
permissions on smbmnt is a bad thing to do as it raises security
issues. What security issues? Do they apply to a home network desktop
system to any great extent. Is there some other way to do this that
will accomplish what I want?

   Here's the line from fstab: (Line break by hand)

//GIGASTUDIO/16-Bit-loop /mnt/GSt-Gigs          smbfs
   username=mark,password=removed,noauto,user,ro 0 0

   What's a good way to accomplish without messing with system security?

Thanks,
Mark