IA64 Install Problem

Smith, Albert Albert.Smith at genexservices.com
Thu Feb 10 20:05:41 UTC 2005

From: redhat-install-list-bounces at redhat.com
[mailto:redhat-install-list-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of Rick
Stevens
Sent: Thursday, February 10, 2005 1:46 PM
To: Getting started with Red Hat Linux
Subject: Re: IA64 Install Problem

Smith, Albert wrote:
> I did the make mrproper and put my .config file in place and now my
> make dep is failing:

When you put your old .config file back, did you "make menuconfig" or
"make xconfig"?  If not, then you must do "make oldconfig" before you do
the "make dep".

Ideally, you'd go to the source directory and do "make mrproper" first.
Then you'd "make menuconfig" or "make xconfig" and import the config
file that best describes your hardware.  If you installed the binary
kernel RPM, the config file for the kernel currently running is in /boot
as "/boot/config-`uname -r`".  If you wish to use a different config as
a baseline, the standard ones Red Hat uses for the various kernel
versions are in the "configs" directory of the kernel source code.

When you "save configuration" from the "make [menu|x]config" command,
the system writes a new ".config" AND does some preliminary work (such
as setting up symlinks for the assembly headers and such).  This is the
same as "make oldconfig" using an old .config file.

So, if you're going to bypass the "make [menu|x]config" bit, you must
add a new step.  Here's the new sequence (step 3 is the new one):

1.    Before buggering your configuration, make a copy of the .config
     file and do a "make mrproper" first.

2.    Modify your config by importing the copy of the .config file,
     then make your changes.  Save the changes.

3.    "make oldconfig" if you did NOT do a "make menuconfig" or "make
     xconfig" after copying over your old .config.  If you did, skip
this
     step.

4.    "make dep"

5.    "make clean"

6.    "make bzImage"  (MUST be done even if you're just recompiling
     modules)

7.    "make modules"

To install:

8.    "make modules_install"