More FC3 install problems 'Assertion (heads >0)' Workaround

Graeme Nichols gnichols at tpg.com.au
Tue Feb 15 02:26:19 UTC 2005

Rick Stevens wrote:

> Graeme Nichols wrote:

>>> Hello Folks, After getting over the media check failures of FC3 I am
>>> now encountering the following error that pops up straight after
>>> selecting the keyboard. It is as follows:
>>>
>>> BUG
>>> Assertion (heads >0) at disk_dos.c:485 in function
>>> probe_partition_for_geom() failed
>>> 96
>>>
>>> BUG
>>> Assertion (sectors<=63) at disk_dos.c:490 in function
>>> probe_partition_for_geom() failed
>>> 96
>>>
>>> Clicking on the right button (can't remember what it was labelled
>>> now) resulted in a revolving hourglass cursor and a very long wait.
>>> Clicking on the 'Ignore' button resulted in aborting the install.
>>>
>>> I have tried the suggestions in the http://www.fedorafaq.org/
>>> website (boot: linux ide=nodma) but no joy.
>>>
>>> Has anyone come across the same problem? If so, what is the workaround?
>>>
>>> My system is P4 3G, 512 Mb RAM, hda 200G (Win XP SP2), hdb 40G
>>> (FC2), Radeon 9800XXL video and the usual hardware. The system is a
>>> Medion (German make/design)
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>
>> I hope this may help others who encounter the media test failure and
>> 'Assertion (heads >0)' bug during an upgrade of FC2 to FC3.
>>
>> The workaround which definitely works (The workaround on the RH site
>> doesn't!) is to boot from your FC2 CD1 and run the media test from
>> there. Once the media check is completed then Ctl +Alt + Del to
>> re-boot the machine and start the upgrade again.
>

> And bypass the media check of FC3's install.  You know the discs are
> good by now.
>
>> When the 'Assertion (heads >0)' bug bites after selecting the
>> keyboard just keep banging away on the 'Cancel' button and the
>> upgrade will continue. The same bug will bite again a little later,
>> just keep banging away on the 'Cancel' button until the upgrade
>> continues and all will be OK.
>

> Yes, that will work.
>
>> According to bugzilla it is resolved but, probably due to my
>> ignorance, I could not find what the resolution was. HOWEVER.... the
>> bug is caused by the bug-ridden version of PARTED v1.6.15 that comes
>> on the FC3 CDs. ( run PARTED 1.6.15 from the command line as root and
>> you will see what I mean). I would imagine, but I haven't tried it,
>> that if you install the latest version of PARTED before doing the
>> upgrade to FC3 then IF PARTED is run from the HD and not the install
>> FC3 CD1 (I haven't found the PARTED executable on the FC3 CD1) then
>> the bug will not occur
>

> The parted used during installation is buried in the image of the RAM
> disk that anaconda installs for its operation.  It does not depend on
> the hard drive at all.  anaconda is pretty much self-contained.
>
> .

Hi Rick, so my 'workaround' for parted will not work. Oh well... pity,
but the effort is worth it for FC3.

I'm working on trying to move from StarOffice 5.2 to OOo-1.1.2
(StarOffice 5.2 will not run with the 2.6.9 kernel) by converting all my
templates and document files but the document conversion does not work,
'missing file' is the error it throws up. I 'think' the problem is old
1.1.1 stuff left on the HD. As soon as I get a chance I'll rpm -e
openoffice* and do an rpm -Uvh openoffice* so all the old stuff will,
hopefully, be erased.

Kind regards,

Graeme.